The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.
(It is sweet and fitting to die for one's country)This line of Wilfred Owen's poem Dulce et Decorum est (Sweet and Fitting it is) made me think. Did the soldiers really believe that it was "sweet and fitting" to die for their country? It sounds honorable and respectful, but thinking that when you're sitting at home looking at propaganda is much different than when you're in a trench gushing blood and dying. Don't get me wrong, I definitely respect soldiers and their courage to fight for their country. However, I wonder if they ever get weary enough to doubt themselves and their cause. As you read Owen's poem, you start to see the true experiences that a soldier has on a daily basis. Everyone says, "Oh, they must have gotten used to it." Personally, though, I don't think I'd ever get used to eating next to dead bodies or hearing gunshots 24/7. So, I guess the big question is, is it really sweet and fitting to die for one's country?

0 comments:
Post a Comment