Calling for backup...or not.

on Thursday, April 7, 2011

I think that it was very courageous for the Polish to put up a fight against the Soviets and the Germans.  The Polish had a lot against them at this time.  They were surrounded by their enemies, they did not have modern war technology, and their generals were offensive-minded.  All of these aspects clearly added up; they were annihilated.  However, I still think it's interesting how the French and British didn't show up right away to help the Polish.  In fact, most of them hadn't even checked in to their posts yet when the Polish were beat.  The Allied people did not want another war.  I think the soldiers' mindset can either make or break a war.  If the soldiers are determined to win and have a passion for war in their hearts, the outcome will be good for them.  If not, they will not do anything, as it was in this case.  Maybe if the French and British took a prominent stand in this battle, the Polish would have came out on top.

4 comments:

Ryan Cooper said...

I like your thinking here on this one. Thats very true on the soilders mind set. If you cant get people to fight who want to fight they just wont try. Its kind of like playing a sport that you hate. Your not going to try because you dont want to be there

Jimmy Rizzo said...

I agree with both of you. Poland didn't put up a good fight but at least they didn't just surrender and let Germany and Russia have Poland that easily. Also, if Britain and France had wanted to fight and helped out Poland, results of the German invasion may have been different.

Anonymous said...

This is definitely a good and interesting thought. I also believe that if the British and French had helped the Polish, then the outcome would have been very different, possibly giving Poland the opportunity to modernize and develop new tactics. I also have a certain respect for the Poles of WW2, because even against odds like that they didn't back down. Unfortunately, the other Allied powers slacked and basically let them get destroyed.

Josh Power said...

The Poles totally got screwed but I give them a lot of credit because they stood up against to bigger countries. The Polish people went through a lot of tough times in the war and they got a lot of guts for reforming their country after the USSR stopped controlling them.

Post a Comment